This weekend's 50+ degree weather has KK and I ready for spring! KK added this peach-chicken meal to the menu as soon as we turned off the thermostat and opened the windows for some fresh air! Although it's a tad too early for peach season, we still managed to find a decent selection at the store this weekend. Success!
When we first tried this meal, I was highly skeptical of mixing fruit with chicken. Boy, was I wrong! The slightly-softened peaches are amazing, and the sauce has a hint of sweetness but isn't too overwhelming. When it comes to incorporating fruit with dinner entrees, this recipe pushed me over the edge, and now I'll willing to try anything. One day I'll post the mouthwatering recipes I have for Rosemary Chicken & Wild Rice, and Toasted Pecan Chicken, both of which require orange marmalade. The recipe I have for Sausage, Grape & Pasta Skillet is also pretty tasty! Still so many recipes to blog about! Do you have any dinner recipes that require fruit?
Savory Peach Chicken
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Time: 30 minutes
2/3 to 1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 peaches, sliced thin
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
salt & pepper
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange juice, chicken broth, and sliced peaches in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Preheat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper, then place in the hot skillet. Cook until golden brown on one side, then flip and repeat on the other side, 4 minutes in total. Chicken will not be cooked through. Plate and set aside.
4. Add ginger and garlic to the hot pan and stir constantly for 10 seconds. Immediately add the sauce/peach mixture to the pan, and increase heat to high. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring once or twice, until sauce has thickened and peaches start to become soft.
5. With the sauce still in the skillet, nestle chicken between the peaches, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve on top of brown rice.