HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Friday, March 8, 2013

Chicken and Cheese Taquitos

I cook a lot of Italian food, so based on the number of posts categorized under Italian, one might assume it's my favorite cuisine.  However, if push came to shove, I don't know if I'd be able to choose between Italian and Mexican.  Despite my attempts to be health-conscious, I can never say no to anything smothered in cheese and salsa (or marinara sauce)! My two favorite restaurants in Hoboken are Charrito's and Cafe Michelina.  Stay tuned for some restaurant reviews next time KK and I go out for dinner. 

I've had several late night at work over the past few weeks, and this week was no different.  Yesterday, to reward myself for all of the hard work,  I decided to grab a beer at happy hour with some coworkers.  We ended up staying longer than I originally planned, and I got home at the same time as KK.  Since it was already late and I was starving, my immediate vote was for carryout, but KK insisted that this meal would be quick and easy.  He was, as usual, correct.

As the oven preheated, I quickly cooked up the chicken in a skillet, and mixed together the rest of the filling ingredients.  Roll-up assembly was speedy, and these things were in and out of the oven in what felt like a matter of minutes! I chose to top mine with extra salsa, while KK chose sour cream.  Either works!

Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
Adapted from Baked Bree
Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1 lb chicken, chopped
2 Tablesoons extra virgin olive oil
8 oz block cream cheese, room temperature
1 can enchilada sauce
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
1 large package flour tortillas
sour cream, optional
salsa, optional

Directions
1. In a skillet, heat olive oil and prepare the chicken until cooked through.

2. In a large bowl, mash together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, lime juice, spices, garlic, and onion. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Add the cheese and shredded chicken.

4. Warm up your tortillas so that they are more pliable. Put a few Tablespoons of the filling in the tortilla and roll up.

5. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, spray it with cooking spray. Place the taquitos seam side down. Spray the top with cooking spray. Top with remaining enchilada sauce.

6. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the tortillas are brown and crispy.  

7. Top with sour cream and/or salsa as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...