HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Friday, February 28, 2014

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I think it's quite obvious that, by the increased volume of soup posts I’ve shared over the past few months… I love soup! It’s great for a hearty dinner, and also turns into wonderful leftovers that I can have for lunch at work.  I’m a huge fan of Ziploc Twist 'n Lock containers because I worry less about spillage when I carry leftovers, especially soups, in my purse.  This recipe caught my eye because I really like stuffed peppers (evidenced here and here).  I figured a soup version of stuffed peppers would be a big hit with both of us, and I was right! Better yet, it was really easy to make: cook the meat, combine the remaining ingredients, simmer, and enjoy! It was a little under-seasoned, so I added extra Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes, indicated below, and a lot of black pepper. In lieu of rice, this soup would also work with quinoa or small pasta such as stellini.

Stuffed Pepper Soup
Adapted from Skinny Taste
Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients
2 ½ cups cooked rice
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
28-oz. can diced tomatoes
15-oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions
1. If rice is not cooked yet, prepare rice according to package directions.

2. Season ground turkey with salt and pepper; brown meat in a Dutch oven on high heat, about 5-10 minutes.  Once no longer pink, drain excess fat, reduce heat to medium-low and add peppers, onions and garlic; cook until onion begin to soften, about 5 minutes.

3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover, and simmer on low for 30 minutes.  Stir in rice, and serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...