HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Monday, February 3, 2014

Spinach and Cheese Pinwheels

As I mentioned in my last post, I spent most of Saturday prepping for my Wine, Cheese, and Dirty Santa party.  I chopped veggies for a crudité platter, laid out an assortment of cheeses, pepperoni, and crackers, and started some crockpot mulled wine which left the apartment smelling glorious.  Per usual, I neglected to take pictures of the Southwest Turkey Meatballs with Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing, but I promise you that they were delicious! KK was not able to find a tomatillo at the grocery store, so I substituted it for a green pepper and some lemon juice, and the dressing was delicious.  The dressing recipe made way too much, but no complaints here because we’ll be using it for veggie dip and salad dressing for the rest of the week! I also made baked brie with pepper jelly, but again, it was consumed before I managed to snap a photo of it! My friends brought an assortment of desserts for the party: homemade marble cupcakes, chocolate peppermint cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and a 6-pack of Crumbs cupcakes.  Whatever we didn’t finish on Saturday, I brought to Sunday’s Superbowl party instead. It was the perfect way to make use of the leftovers without too much going to waste!

The only thing I did manage to snap a (quick) picture of were these pinwheels.  I’ve had a box of Puff Pastry in the freezer for a few months, so KK was glad when I found not one, but two recipes to use it with this weekend! The baked brie was a hit, as were these pinwheels.  Don’t forget to thaw your puff pastry before starting.  I hate when recipes say a dish only takes 30 minutes, but neglects to clearly mention any thawing or marinating time required! I didn’t roll the pinwheel log tightly enough on my first try, and I struggled a bit to cut the pinwheel slices.  After re-rolling the log, it was much easier to cut the pinwheels.  After cutting the log, reshape the pinwheels into circles so they bake up in a round shape.  Some of my pinwheels looked more like ovals, but they tasted just as good!

Spinach and Cheese Pinwheels
Adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Time: 25 minutes + 40 minutes for puff pastry thawing
Makes: 20 pinwheels


Ingredients
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
½ cup shredded Muenster cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan
⅛ tsp garlic powder
Flour for dusting
1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
10 oz. box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry


Directions
1. Preheat 400 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.


2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.

3. In another small bowl, stir together Muenster cheese, Parmesan, and garlic powder.

4. Lightly flour work surface.  Unfold thawed puff pastry and, using a floured rolling pin, roll lightly.  Brush surface with egg wash; reserve remaining egg wash for later.  Top puff pastry with an even layer of the cheese mixture, followed by the thawed spinach.

5. Tightly roll up the puff pastry to form a pinwheel log.  Carefully slice the log into ½-inch pieces, and place pinwheels onto baking sheet.  Brush tops and sides with remaining egg wash.  Bake 15 minutes, or until puff pastry turns golden brown.  Cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...