HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Edamame Fried Rice

How have I owned a wok for 6+ months and not used it?! This thing is quickly going to become my favorite piece of cookware.  Actually, I also used my mandolin for the first time this evening, and it's proving to be another great tool.  I didn't have shredded carrots on hand, but I figured chopped baby carrots would be a decent substitute   Just as I started chopping, I remembered my Dad mentioning how he used his mandolin to make french onion soup, so I decided to give it a try.  After nearly slicing off my thumb (only once, don't worry), I will most certainly start using the mandolin more often.  If you have any recipes requiring extensive use of either a wok, a mandolin, or both - send them my way! 

With leftover rice, this meal would've taken less than 20 minutes to pull together.  Think about cooking this dish on the same week you prepare another rice dish to cut your prep time in half.  I added chicken to make this more of an entree, and have also upped the onion, carrot, and edamame quantities.  For extra kick, I added a few healthy dashes of Sriracha.

Edamame Fried Rice
Adapted from Skinny Taste
Serves 4-6
Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 lb protein, optional (chicken, tofu, etc.)
2 egg whites, scrambled
1 whole egg, scrambled 
cooking spray
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup shredded or sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Cook rice, and prepare your protein.  Once finished, set aside and cover it with tinfoil to  retain heat. 

2. When the rice is 10 minutes from being done, whisk the eggs in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper.

3. In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

4. Heat the wok again on high heat. Add oil and cook onions, carrots and garlic for about 1 minute; stir frequently to avoid burning.  Add brown rice and stir for a few minutes to heat through.  Add cooked egg, protein, soy sauce and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...