HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Copy Cat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers

I've never had a real hamburger.  That's right - you read that correctly. I'm quite the picky eater and I'm just not a huge fan of red meat.  I recently started to expand my horizon by trying a few pork and fish dishes, but I much prefer plain old chicken.  When we were down at my Dad's house for Christmas, KK convinced me to add a Chicken Parm burger to the menu and I found them surprisingly delicious.  Since that was such a hit, we decided it was time to experiment with other burgers.  This Chili Lime Chicken burger comes from one of my all time favorite blogs - Iowa Girl Eats.  Her recipes never disappoint, her workouts are always tough, and her photography is fantastic.  This recipe lived up to my expectations from IGE.  I made only minor modifications to her recipe - I used refrigerated lime juice (because I didn't have a lime), and I added salsa for some extra oomph! Enjoy!

P.S. Check back soon for the aforementioned Chicken Parm burgers!


Copy Cat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4

Burger Ingredients
1lb ground chicken
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp lime juice
4 slices pepper jack cheese, optional
4 buns, toasted
Salsa, optional (but a must according to KK!)

Guacamole Ingredients
1 avocado
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper
a few dashes of chili powder

Directions
1. Combine chicken,  onions, bell pepper, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and lime juice in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined, then form into 4 patties and spray each side generously with non-stick spray.

2. Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill burgers for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through.  If desired, place a slice of cheese on top of each burger, then cover with a large pot lid, and allow to melt for about a minute.  Remove burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Place each burger on a toasted bun, then top with guacamole and salsa.

3. For the guacamole: Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher or fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...