HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tortellini With Spinach, Peas, and Brown Butter

Our dinner plans this evening were canceled at the last minute, so I needed something quick and easy to cook before heading out to a friend's birthday party in Hoboken.  Real Simple is my favorite magazine - it's actually the only one I subscribe too.  I have a stack of recipes that I've torn from the magazine, but I rarely end up making them because I get most of my recipe ideas from other blogs that I read.  Somehow I managed to squeeze this one into the rotation!


Make sure to watch  the butter closely as it cooks: in about 3 minutes, it will begin to brown and smell nutty once the foam has subsided... but wait a smidge too long, the butter will spell burned and you've gone too far!

I was unable to find a one-pound bag of frozen spinach at the store, so I only uses 13 ounces. Because of the reduced pasta quantity, plus the fact that KK and I like healthy portions for dinner, this meal only served two tonight!

Tortellini With Spinach, Peas, and Brown Butter
Adapted from Real Simple
Serves 2
Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
1 lb fresh or frozen tortellini
1 c frozen peas
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 small bunch flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
1  medium beefsteak tomato, coarsely chopped
1tsp finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt and black pepper
Grated Parmesan, for garnish
Crushed red pepper, for garnish

Directions
1. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking.

2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach and tomato and cook, tossing occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and the tomato begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes more.

3. Add the tortellini, peas, lemon zest and juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the skillet and toss to combine. Top with grated Parmesan and crushed red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...