Garlic Parmesan Pretzel Crisp chicken was on our menu about a month ago, and it was delicious. The leftovers are not as crispy, but are still quite tasty. Since I last made this meal, I've been scoping out the Pretzel Crisps display at the grocery store, looking for new flavors. Last week I found Jalapeno Jack and Chipotle Cheddar. Both sounded good, but I ultimately decided to give this recipe a try with the Jalapeno Jack. The results were the same - delicious!
To keep the meal as garlicky as last time - I served the chicken with Herb & Butter Rice-a-Roni and Birds Eye Steamfresh Lightly Sauced Italian Green Beans with Garlic Parmesan Sauce. I also used Alouette Garlic & Herb Crème de Brie for the cheese sauce. Have I mentioned that I love garlic?
Garlic Parmesan Pretzel Crisp Chicken
Time: 25 minutes
2 (8-10-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cups pretzel crumbs from Garlic Parmesan Pretzel Crisps
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup soft garlic and herb cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 225F.
2. Butterfly each chicken breast, making a total of 4 thin chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a shallow bowl, lightly whisk together the egg and milk. Place the Pretzel Crisp crumbs in another shallow bowl.
4. Cover the bottom of a heavy skillet in oil and heat over medium heat.
5. Take each chicken piece and dip it in the egg mixture. Dip the chicken in the pretzel crumbs, using your hands to press the crumbs into the chicken if needed.
6. Transfer the chicken to the hot pan and cook until the meat is cooked through, turning once, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a sheet pan covered in aluminum foil (easy cleanup!) and place in the oven to keep warm.
7. Next, melt the butter in the same skillet. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir in the cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
8. Plate your chicken and sides, then top things off with the cheese sauce.