HOME     ABOUT    CONTACT

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pizza Quesadillas

It’s finally feeling like spring! It was in the 50s/60s earlier this week, but now it’s in the 70s and the weekend weather forecast is shaping up nicely.  As you may have seen on Facebook or Instagram, I caved yesterday and bought my first (of many) iced coffee of the season.  I got a Starbucks gift card during KK’s cousins’ white elephant gift exchange back in December, and I was saving it to quench my iced coffee addiction.  Once the Starbucks card runs out, I have a Dunkin card my old roommate gave me for my birthday this year.  After that – I’m in trouble. Maybe I should investigate making my own iced coffee at home…Does anyone have recommendations on making iced coffee at home, going to the gym, and then enjoying the coffee when you get to work??

Thursday was supposed to be leftovers night, but even the best laid plans change - Tuesday’s cancelled dinner plans meant Tuesday became leftovers night.  Never fear – KK loves the challenge of finding a last-minute dinner recipe with ingredients that we have on hand.   Whilst The Girl Who Ate Everything, a.k.a. Christy, made these easy pizza quesadillas for her kids, KK and I love them too!  Other than the pepperoni, I ignored the quantities in the ingredient list.  Use as much or as little cheese as you want.  We didn't have anything fresh on hand, but you can also get creative with this meal by adding veggies – peppers, onions, mushrooms, anything you can think of! I know it sounds strange from someone who loves tomato sauce as much as I do, but I recommend only a thin layer of marinara sauce on the tortillas.  If you use too much, it will spill onto the skillet and burn.  To make up for the lack of sauce in the quesadillas, you can use extra marinara sauce for dipping! 


P.S. I had a really hard time taking decent a picture of the 'dillas!

Pizza Quesadillas
Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Time: 30 minutes
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
8 tortillas
6 ounces sliced pepperoni
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Marinara sauce
Pam cooking spray

Directions
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and fry the pepperoni until crisp, stirring occasionally.  Transfer crisped pepperoni to a paper towel.  Blot excess oils off pepperoni and wipe skillet clean with paper towels.

2. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on each tortilla.  Sprinkle cheese on top of the sauce on half of the tortillas, top with pepperoni, and sprinkle with another layer of cheese.  Place the remaining tortillas on top of the cheese (sauce side in).

3. Reusing the same skillet as before, heat over medium heat.  Once hot, coat skillet with cooking spray and place one quesadilla in the pan.  Cook until cheese is melted and tortillas are crisped, about 2-3 minutes.  Repeat with remaining quesadillas.

4. Slice into quarters (or eighths) and serve with a  small bowl of warm marinara sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...